Exam accommodations are alterations to exam conditions to ensure that University of Alberta students with accessibility needs have the opportunity to demonstrate their knowledge of the material tested by an exam.
Examples of exam accommodations include:
- extended time
- use of a computer or adaptive technology
- alternate formats of print material
- special equipment or lighting
- ergonomic furniture
- the assistance of a scribe or reader
Exam accommodations are a shared responsibility between the University of Alberta, instructors, and students. You play a crucial role in ensuring exam accommodations are organized and completed.
- Email or hand deliver a Letter of Accommodation to each instructor within the first two weeks of the term. Instructors require this letter to collaborate regarding accommodations. Letters of Accommodation can be found here.
- If the impacts of barriers in the environment or of your diagnosis(es) require the accommodation of "one exam per day", please follow the instructions here.
- Instructors are responsible for ensuring Exam Instruction and Authorization information is submitted to SAS, typically online in ClockWork.
- Follow the deadlines as posted on the SAS website, in ClockWork, in SAS Newsletters, and on posters in SAS locations. If missed, very few options are available.
- Enter your exam information into ClockWork before the deadline.
- Check your exam schedule in ClockWork frequently, and ensure that you check 1 (one) day prior to your exam for locations.
- Familiarize yourself with the Exam Accommodation procedures.
- Inform the SAS Exam Accommodation Team about any changes in your exam schedule.
- Arrive a few minutes early for your exam. If you arrive late, the exam end time remains as scheduled.
- Bring your own watch, calculator, eraser, pen or pencil.
- Monitor your time and stop on time. The Exam Accommodations Team must inform instructors if an exam is not not stopped as instructed. This may impact your mark.
Exam Accommodation Deadlines
All quizzes, midterms, tests, and final exams must be entered into ClockWork with 7 days notice and prior to the exam date and before:
Sunday, March 18, 2018
for Winter 2018 exams