Eligible Students

University of Alberta students who have documentation of a permanent disability or chronic health condition, completed by a qualified professional, can receive services through Student Accessibility Services (SAS).

Documentation must:

All documentation must be brought to the initial consultation if not previously submitted.

SAS can assist students who do not have documentation or are unable to provide recent documentation. If you believe you may have an unconfirmed disability, and wish to explore services, you must commit to the process(es) involved in obtaining documentation as outlined by the SAS Accessibility Advisor. While you may be eligible for accommodation during the process, continuation of accommodations is contingent upon provision of documentation.

Based on an intake interview, SAS can begin working together with students who are in the process of obtaining documentation of their disability or condition. For example, if a student is in the process of psycho-educational assessment to determine the nature of a learning challenge, our office will support interim services. If documentation is not provided, or the results of assessments indicate that no disability can be established, students will be referred elsewhere for support. 

SAS serve students with documentation of anxiety disorders that are generalized and exacerbated by certain situations, which may or may not include exams.

International Students

Instructors often refer international students to our office for services, especially for time accommodation for exams. All students, including international students, who have or are exploring a disability or diagnosis and either have or are willing to explore necessary documentation, can register with SAS and appropriate services will be explored. However, our mandate is limited to students with documented disabilities. If the concerns being raised centre around English as an additional language, students will be referred to other university services.

Ineligible Students

We cannot provide services to students who ‘self-diagnose’ with any disorder. For example, students who come to SAS with concerns about ‘exam anxiety’ are referred to the Student Success Centre for help with exam-writing techniques, time management, study skills, and other possible supports. In addition, the student is referred to Counselling and Clinical Services and the University Health Centre for professional help with their anxiety. If documentation of an anxiety disorder results from these consultations, student may be eligible for services through SAS.

SAS resources are limited to serving students with permanent/ongoing disabling conditions. We are unable to serve students recovering from temporary injuries, surgeries, or those who have acute (temporary) illnesses or conditions. The University of Alberta is, however, obliged to support students with temporary disabilities, as outlined under Alberta Human Rights documents. More information for students with temporary medical conditions is available here.

SAS can serve as an information resource for faculty, departments, and colleagues who need to arrange short-term accommodations for students with temporary medical conditions. 

Learn more about accommodations for temporary illness, injuries, or conditions.